Plymouth was originally platted in 1858. The new City of Plymouth was established December 23rd, 1870 and was incorporated as a city October 18, 1900.
School: The first Plymouth school was a log house owned by Rev. Thomas Tenney and taught by Miss Harriet Tenney the winter of 1856-1857.
The first school house was built in 1858 and the first teacher was C.W. Tenney. This school was torn down in 1867.
The brick high school was built in 1916 and the grade school addition was completed in 1954. Plymouth consolidated with Manly and Hanlontown in 1959. The Plymouth school colors were green and white and their nickname was “Pirates”.
NorthCentralCommunitySchool, PlymouthCenter (grades K-6) was torn down the fall of 1999. This property is currently a city park.
City Hall: The current city hall was built in 1925 to house the city’s two 13,500 gallon water pressure storage tanks for the $15,000 city water system. A large fire at a two story building on Main Street in 1925 prompted the city water system that was originally installed only for fire protection. The building was used to house the city’s Ajax chemical engine, a 1916 hose cart, a 1934 Model T truck and a 1947 Chevy pumper.
The building was remodeled to add restrooms and a kitchen when the fire barn was built in 1958. Additional remodeling added a library and council chambers. The city has not had a library for many, many years. The city contracts with Manly, Iowa for library services for the city residents.
The hall is rented out for family gatherings and meetings and the senior citizens use the hall on Mondays for cards. A community coffee is held on Tuesday mornings.
Plymouth originated in 1858 in a log cabin used as a stage coach and mail stop known as the “Star Corner”, which was ½ mile south of the city’s present location. The first frame building was a general store. In 1859 a post office was built followed by a hotel, blacksmith shop and a stone schoolhouse.
In 1870 the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad tracks were laid and a new town was surveyed and platted near the scenic banks of the Shell Rock River now known as Plymouth. It is believed the very large glacial boulder found southeast of the existing town reminded the settlers of “The Plymouth Rock” in Massachusetts, thus the name of Plymouth was given to this newly formed community. Plymouth was incorporated in 1900.
The first settlers were mainly of the English descent that crossed the prairie by oxen driven wagons that farmed the land and opened businesses as the need developed.
Plymouth was once a bustling business community. Our community now has very few businesses and few residents remain that were born and raised in Plymouth. Most residents move to Plymouth to make their home in a small rural community where “neighbors are friends” and the atmosphere is calm and relaxing.